Enjoy daytime and illuminated-evening winter treks at Mirror Lake and Devil’s Lake Sate Parks. Use the Inn’s complimentary Redfeather Snowshoes or rent cross-country ski sets at two nearby outlets. Afterward warm in our sauna and soaking tubs.
Every winter the Friends of Mirror Lake State Park volunteers host a Torch Lite Night Hike, Snowshoe And Ski, at this 2,200-acre park between Baraboo and Lake Delton, Wis. They line two, one-mile trails with torches, one for skiers and the other for everyone else, for an enchanting evening trekking through the snow-capped woods and fields. Lingering light from the Jan. 2 Full Wolf Supermoon further illuminates the trails. The Friends offer free hot beverages and sweet treats to enjoy around the bonfire beside the 137-acre lake fed by Dell Creek.
- Jan. 5, 2019, 6:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Feb. 2, 2019, 6:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Arrive early for these popular events to ensure a parking space. Meet at the beach picnic area. Mirror Lake is an easy 25-minute drive north of the Inn at Wawanissee Point bed and breakfast.
Also at Mirror Lake State Park ADDITIONAL 2019 DETAILS COMING SOON
- Jan. 20 and Feb. 10, 2018: Snowshoe Hike To Fern Dell Gorge’s Ice Formations 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. Join naturalist Marty Heidke and the Friends of Mirror Lake State Park on a guided hike or snowshoe into this small sandstone gorge of Fern Dell Gorge State Natural Area, within the park. Learn some of the area’s history and see the colorful, 10-foot tall ice formations from water seeping through the steep sandstone walls. Space in the gorge is limited, register by calling the park office at 608-254-2333 or e-mail [email protected] Meet at the park office to carpool to the trailhead. Bring water and camera, and snowshoes and hiking poles if you wish.
Save time: purchase a 2019 Wisconsin State Parks annual admission sticker online here from the Friends of Wisconsin State Parks, where you can also donate to help keep Wisconsin’s state parks open. Allow a few days before you check in for it to arrive by mail. Or arrive early to purchase an annual or daily pass at the park entrance.
If you have questions about Mirror Lake State Park and its events call 608-254-2333 or e-mail [email protected].
At Devil’s Lake Sate Park in Baraboo, five minutes west of the Inn: 2019 DETAILS COMING SOON
- Jan. 13, 2018: Glacial Landscape Hike & Snowshoe, 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. Join the naturalist to trek through Roznos Meadow traveling upon glacial landforms. Learn how the glacier’s retreat 10,000 years ago created this amazing landform. The hike will be about 2 miles on flat, but uneven terrain. Meet at the Roznos Meadow parking lot along Hwy 113 between South Lake Road and County Road DL.
- Jan. 20, 2018: Learn To Ice Fish, 1:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m. Meet at the north shore’s Rock Elm Shelter. Dress warmly and come learn to ice fish from volunteers and staff, adults and children are welcome. Equipment and bait are provided. No fishing license is required for this free fishing weekend. Warm by bon fire on shore. This event is held only if the weather creates safe-ice conditions.
- Jan. 27 & Feb. 24, 2018: Scavenger Hunt, 10:00 a.m.–2:30 p.m. Pick up your clues at the north shore’s Nature Center and work as a team to hike the park’s trails to complete this challenge. A GPS unit is needed for some of the finds, bring yours or borrow one from the Nature Center. Bring your camera, too.
- Feb. 3, 2018: Winter Crisp Nature Walk, 2:30 p.m.–4:00 p.m. A guided nature hike to discover interesting things happening in the park in winter. Afterward enjoy a hearty cinnamon-spiced, fire-baked apple treat by the campfire. Meet at the north shore’s Nature Center.
- Feb. 10, 2018: Candlelight Hike And Snowshoe, 6:00 p.m.–8:30 p.m. Meet at the north shore’s Rock Elm Shelter. Enjoy a self-guided snowshoe or hike through the park along an illuminated trail, and then warm by the campfire and make s’mores with the Friends of Devil’s Lake State Park.
If you have questions about Devil’s Lake State Park and its events call 608-356-8301 ext. 140 or e-mail [email protected].
Learn more about Devil’s Lake State Park here and about its events at www.devilslakewisconsin.com.
A Day At Mirror Lake State Park
This is best place to cross-country ski groomed trails nearest the Inn at Wawanissee Point. The park has 19 miles of cross-country ski trails plus 2.6 miles of snowshoeing trails and 20 miles of hiking trails.
- Download a winter trail map here.
The Park encompasses the Fern Dell Gorge State Natural Area where you can see interesting ice formations accessible by trail with or without snowshoes.
Learn about the park’s latest sightings and events at the Friends’ Facebook page, and more about the Park here and at mirrorlakewisconsin.com.
Dine in Reedsburg 18 minutes west of the park, at one of many restaurants along the picturesque, historic downtown Main Street. Here you’ll find the state’s smallest microbrewery, Corner Pub Brewery, which is also Sauk County’s oldest operating tavern. Or stop at J’s Pub & Grill at Reedsburg’s east edge for freshly prepared food by Chef Jayson.
Or eat in Lake Delton, five minutes north of the park, or 15 minutes away in downtown Wisconsin Dells.
After playing in the snow pamper each other with our…
- Shiatsu massage chair
- Great Room fireplace
- massage-therapy tubs for two in the Bird’s Nest and Bordeaux guest rooms
- private in-room massage in Bordeaux and Secret Garden guest rooms
- Massages and more at day spas Spa Serenity in Baraboo and Cloud Nine in Sauk City